Monday, January 21, 2008

weekend ramblings

We are hitting the end of a long weekend and while there are a few things I'd really like to write about, I want to do a little more planning first. Anyway, OTHER than those things which I will hopefully write about later in the week, I've found a some new things to be excited about. (Maybe I can say "things" a few more times. Things, things, things, things, things. Okay I think it's out of my system.)


I just began reading a book a couple days ago called, "What is the What?" by Dave Eggers and I wish I could find more time to throw myself into it. It is an autobiographical novel about Valentino Achak Deng, a refugee from the Sudanese Civil War during the 80s. He is part of a group of children called the "Lost Boys of the Sudan" who were fleeing the south on foot for thousands of miles towards what they hoped was sanctuary in Ethiopia after their villages were burned and families murdered. Last January I read the article in National Geographic about the story of one of these boys (a different one from this novel, but still very similar experiences) and was intrigued. These are stories of the endurance of the human spirit. These boys watched as thousands of their peers were kidnapped, murdered, starved to death, taken by disease and eaten by lions. Their hardships go on for years. There was also a movie about the Lost Boys called "Got Grew Tired of Us" which I never saw but would like to. Anyway.... hopefully I can give my thoughts on the book in a week or so. I am only about 20 pages in so far but it is a good read- moving and unbelievable but with some humor thrown in!

Something I found out about today that I am excited for is the new U2 3D Imax movie! Apparently it is opening in a few cities in two days (but not here in San Francisco) and then many more places Feb 15. I was a big U2 fan in high school and this looks like a good time! Can't wait to see it.

0 comments: