Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Butternut Squash Bread Pudding


I made this excellent bread pudding the other night for friends in my singing group. I used ciabatta bread and then you make the custard that soaks into the bread out of pureed squash, half and half, sugar, eggs, nutmeg and Chinese Five Spice Powder (which was a great complement to the sweet squash). Then you mash more squash with brown sugar and fold in. It is really flavorful and not just the same old bread pudding- though can bread pudding ever be boring?? The sauce is made out of evaporated milk cooked until thick and brown, sweetened condensed milk and cream. Very tasty. This would be very good with just maple syrup as well. What a great dish for a holiday brunch!

1 comments:

jenlinmin said...

It was delicious!!! On your advice I got some canned pureed butternut squash at Trader Joe's today. Brilliant! A great way to use some of my five spice powder too. I've got way too much for as often as I use it. Thank you, Michelle!