Sunday, June 29, 2008

summer's bounty


This is what I had for lunch one day last week.

One of the things that makes me the happiest and makes me feel like I take care of myself is to go to the farmers' market and buy fresh, local, incredibly flavorful organic fruits and vegetables. I often go to the Ferry Building on Tuesday markets to miss the Saturday crowds and get in and out without it turning into a whole-day event. Last week I took the kids, and this bowl is one of the results of our excursion. Nectarines, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.... I would be happy eating this all summer! It's funny, the kids rebelled about going with me (except Abby, of course, who goes with me all the time and knows exactly how good it all is). Once we got there I could not stop their sampling and asking for more and more. We got beautiful rich red pluots, tangy apriums, sweet berries and crisp, fresh butter lettuce. They tested the fruit at each stand to see which was best. Isn't summer great?

0 comments: