Tuesday, April 8, 2008

desserts for the serious sweet tooth

I bought a new cookbook today because I couldn't put it down. I had heard the title before and it hadn't grabbed me the same way the actual design did when I picked it up and saw the pages inside! It is so Cute!!! Every page is styled with polka dots, stripes, scalloped edges and ribbons. Greens, pinks, blues and browns everywhere. It feels like walking into the yummiest bakeshop you can find. The style of the pages reminds me of the adorable Miette, a local patisserie and confiserie, though the desserts are different. You can buy the book here.

I love how Jill O'Connor begins the book when she speaks about Willy Wonka and says, "There, food isn't just sustenance. It is adventure. It is magic. It is adundance, luxury and excess, all tied up into one big, pink, innocent bow of childlike glee. That is the world I wanted to re-create with the recipes in this book. Just like the aromas wafting from Wonka's chocolate factory, sweets oozing with sticky chewy caramel and butterscotch, gooey with marshmallow and jam, dripping with cream and dribbled with chocolate entice us to indulge our inner Augustus Gloop- if only every now and then."




Plus the desserts aren't like your typical baking cookbook. There's "Dark Chocolate Soup with Cinnamon-Toasted Pound-Cake Croutons", "Chocolate Mascarpone Cheesecake Pots with Shortbread Spoons", "Sticky Pear and Walnut Upside-Down Gingerbread", and "Hawaiian Caramel Corn", to name a few. I can't wait to try some of these out!

There is just something about holding a book in your hands, feeling the paper, turning the pages, and appreciating all the visuals, that make you want to buy that book right then and there. I never would have bought this book by just searching online! Thank goodness for bookstores.

1 comments:

Tanya D said...

I must get this immediately! Thanks for the tip.