Friday, February 22, 2008

strawberries



I like strawberries.

Not strawberry flavored anything. No candy, ice cream, yogurt, or whatever... Just real, red, ripe, juicy, flavorful strawberries. No watery, pink and white out of season imposters. I could eat bowls and bowls of the good ones every day.

I try to eat organic, seasonally and as local as possible so watching all these strawberries from Chile come through the markets all winter has been killing me. I've been sooo tempted but know that it wouldn't be worth it. The flavor would be bland and all the energy costs to get it to the table from half way across the world are not good. Well, a couple weeks ago I saw the first "local" berries come through. From nearby Watsonville. They weren't organic but I couldn't hold myself back! From what I understand pesticides are put into the soil the berries are grown in so you cannot merely wash the pesticides off. They are actually part of the berry. Plus, there are something like 370 pesticides legally okay for conventional strawberry farmers.

Well, hopefully we won't grow 2 extra heads or anything because I couldn't hold myself back. I quickly bought 4 pounds (yes they are still expensive but not outrageous) and I think they were gone within 2 days. I didn't even want to tell my family about them. I didn't want them to open the refrigerator and see them. I wanted them all. But, my more generous side won and we have all been enjoying strawberries frequently. In fact I bought 4 pounds on Wednesday and I am positive they will already be gone by tonight. You had better watch out when the organic berries come into the store. There won't be any left after I leave! Mmmmmm.

1 comments:

Marianna said...

I am the SAME! I only like fresh strawberries. I don't like anything strawberry flavored or even strawberry jam unless it's the homemade freezer variety. I grew up in Oregon and fresh berries are everywhere. Oregon strawberries are smaller, softer, and a lot sweeter, but they don't travel well. :) And the blackberries they sell in stores here are NOT the same thing I grew up with at all!